Review of "My Card," a short story by Matthew Allred



Summary:
A bizarre relationship between two young men proves more dangerous and bloody than anyone would have guessed. From the outside looking in, Christopher Card and Stephan Maccabee are close friends--always at each other's sides--but the truth is much more brutal and horrifying.

Review:
A simply enthralling short story.  The focus centers around a (schizophrenic?) high school boy's inner struggle with himself.  

This story was the perfect balance of "psychology" and "horror" without becoming overly gruesome.  To me the brilliance of this story was in how the reader's perception of the characters change.  It starts out like they're normal friends.  Then you wonder if there's something else going on between them.  Then the horror of what they're about to do really hits.  I actually felt nervous for the victim!

This is an excellent piece of horror fiction and well with picking up a copy.  

4.5/5 stars
Reviewed by Alain Gomez

Buy this story on Amazon.

Comments

  1. Totally with you Gomez, Allred has a way of creeping you out before anything happens. He executes psychological horror very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read My Card a few weeks ago, and didn't really know what to expect. But I really liked it. It's dark of course, but made me want to read it again after reading the ending. I plan to read more from the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Hundred Eyes

Review of "Ferryman" by Nigel Edwards

Interview with Author Hugh Howey