Creative People Say No?

I was reading this article by Business Insider here that suggests that successful creative people all share the ability/trait to say "no."  In other words, they don't allow for others to monopolize their time.  It was interesting because the thought never occurred to me yet saying "no" is such a huge part of how I operate from day to day if I want to get some writing done.

I made the decision a few years back that I wanted to take my writing seriously.  I know this sounds kind of obvious.  I mean, what writer doesn't take her writing seriously?  But I feel there a distinct difference between aspiring to be a writer and seriously writing.  The main difference being a dogged determination to put the butt in the chair and words to paper on a regular basis come hell or high water.

The moment I took writing that seriously is when I started having to say no.  A writer can aspire all she wants but if words are going to go on that page then time has to be made for the craft.  Thirty minutes here.... ten minutes there... it all adds up.  Writing has to become a priority or it doesn't happen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Hundred Eyes

Review of "Ferryman" by Nigel Edwards

Interview with Author Hugh Howey