Author interview: Edwin Stark

How did you become interested in short stories? 
I started writing short stories both as a learning experience (I'm originally a native Spanish speaker) and as a mean to pass time (I live in a tropical rainforest: plenty lonely and BORING).  I suddenly discovered I had the knack to write and I haven't stopped ever since.
 
As an author, do you think writing short stories is worthwhile?  Why? 
Yes, it is. I love the ability to communicate something in 3000 words or less. I'm usually too elaborate in my descriptions and I find it quite challenging to limit myself to the aforementioned word limit. It's very rewarding.
 
What types of short story promotion have worked for you? 
The funny stuff is that I use my short stories to hook my readers into my longer works. Whenever I sell a copy of Cuentos, my short story collection, I almost always get a follow up sale of my other books.
 
What types of short story promotion have not worked for you? 
The standalone short story way: I like to provide my readers with a diversity of diverging short story styles to make them able to see my writing range: If I show a sci-fi fan a horror short story (or viceversa) I may end up alienating a potential reader.
 
Do you consider 99 cents to be a fair price for a standalone short story?  Why or why not? 
See reason above... 99 cents is what I charge for my short story collection at this stage in my writing career.



Check out Edwin's short story collection on Smashwords
Or find out more about him by viewing his profile

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Hundred Eyes

Review of "Ferryman" by Nigel Edwards

Interview with Author Hugh Howey