In my defense, I actually started out pretty well. I was writing every day and it felt kind of nice. And then... I hit a wall. It got to the point where I knew exactly where the story was headed but I wasn't exactly sure how I was going to get there. For two days I tried to work through it by just writing down whatever with the intention of going back and fixing it.
But then I had a wake up call. After the second day's attempt, I thought to myself: "Wait a minute... I hate forcing plots and writing whatever garbage comes to mind." I mean, it was for that exact reason that I decided to not major in Literature in college. I knew I would get burnt out if I was constantly required to churn out what was, in my mind, sub-par work.
So I put the novella aside for a little while to let it marinade. But it wasn't a totally unproductive month! Here's the tally:
- 3,000 words into new novella
- 2,000 word short story written and published
- 1,000 word description for sci-fi blog written and published as free ebook
- 2 short flash fiction stories for new collection I've slowing been putting together
- 300 more words into non-fiction ebook I've been putting together
- Numerous blogs
So I was just shy of 10,000 words. Whatever. I feel no remorse!